Board of Directors of Total’s French Corporate Foundation – June 11, 2020: The Foundation to Maintain Its Commitments Despite the Health and Economic Crisis
Paris, June 11, 2020 – The Board of Directors of Total’s French corporate foundation met at the Group’s headquarters in Paris on Thursday, June 11, 2020 at the initiative of its Chair, Namita Shah.
The directors approved the financial statements for the year ended December 31, 2019 and the minutes of previous meetings.
The Board reviewed progress on the measures put in place by the French corporate foundation during the Covid-19 crisis and on the use of the €5 million it allocated to fighting the virus, with a focus on three key issues:
- Medical research: supporting biomedical research organization Institut Pasteur, including its centers outside France.
- Emergency healthcare aid: providing medical supplies to healthcare workers in a number of hospitals and healthcare institutions and partnering with the Red Cross in France and Africa.
- Assistance for the most vulnerable individuals: ensuring access to staple products for highly vulnerable communities and supporting initiatives to prevent social isolation among the sick and elderly.
The Board performed an in-depth review of the measures taken to support the foundation’s partners and their beneficiaries through the crisis. These included efforts to keep up access to learning for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
“The health and economic crisis is severely impacting nonprofits working in the public interest. It is now more vital than ever for a foundation like ours to stand alongside them and uphold its commitments. The confirmation that the L’Industreet campus in Stains will be opening in fall 2020 is a perfect example of how Total’s French corporate foundation strives to take concrete action and make itself useful to society. I would like to congratulate the Total Foundation teams for their commitment throughout the crisis,” said Manoelle Lepoutre, Senior Vice President, Civil Society Engagement at Total and Managing Director of the French corporate foundation
The foundation renewed its Board of Directors, which is made up of 11 members divided into two classes: one class of representatives of the Founder, with five directors including one representing the employees of the Founder, and a second class of experts, with six external directors specialized in the foundation’s various priority areas.
The foundation noted:
- The resignation of Alexis Vovk, President, Marketing & Services and member of the Total S.A. Executive Committee, who is replaced by Guillaume Larroque, the new Senior Vice President for France and President, Total Marketing France, for the remainder of his predecessor’s term of office (until December 2021).
- The renewal of the term of office of Catherine Ferrant, President of nonprofit Savoir-être à l’École.
- The resignation of Stéphane Lissner, Director of the Paris Opera, Treasurer of the Board of Directors of Théâtre de la Ville and President of the Teatro San Carlo in Naples.
- The resignation of Yann Arthus-Bertrand, photographer and film director.
New recommendations for appointments will be submitted at the next Board meeting for two new expert directors.
The other members are to continue as directors until the end of their terms of office:
- Charles-Benoît Heidsieck, President and founder of Le Rameau, a lab for collaborative innovation (December 2020).
- Hilde Luystermans, Chair of the Total Ethics Committee (December 2020).
- Jacques Emmanuel Saulnier, Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications, Total (December 2020).
- Jean-Jacques Guilbaud, former Chief Administrative Officer of Total (December 2021).
- Susanna Zammataro, Executive Director of the International Road Federation (IRF).
- Olivier-Vincent Fortin, representative of the employees of the Founder.
The Board of Directors meets two to three times a year at the initiative of its Chair to vote on the budget, approve the financial statements and set the yearly allocation of resources.
About Total’s French corporate foundation
Total Foundation encompasses the citizenship initiatives conducted every day worldwide by our sites, our affiliates and our corporate foundation. Through this global program, Total aims to contribute to development in our host communities and regions, alongside our partners. With a special focus on young people, our four priority areas of action are road safety, forests and climate, youth inclusion and education, and cultural dialogue and heritage. Our social engagement is integral to our ambition to become the responsible energy major.